MOTIVATION: is the willingness to exert a certain effort to reach a goal due to
unsatisfied need; the cycle may start with an unsatisfied need which stimulates an
internal drive which set a goal to reach and put the person under tension the person
work hard, so that by reaching this goal the person is satisfied and the tension is
-There are several motivational theories based on two principles: Drive theories which
is based on internal drive state stimulated by a directed behavior stimulated by a goal
then when attaining the goal there will be a reduction in the driving status; &
Intensive theories relies more on the goal itself which in their views is the driving
factor towards the motivation, like the incentives, salaries etc.
One of the most famous theories is MASLOW’S motivation theory who identifies the
person needs into two categories: Basic needs which are the essential and deficiency
needs ( like hunger, thirst , security , sex and any physiological needs) which comes
first as a priority over the Meta or growth needs ( like justice , order , goodness etc.)
Maslow ranked the needs into ascending order starting by the biological needs,
Safety needs, love & belongingness, Esteem then self-actualization. By Maslow
theory the higher needs cannot be satisfied unless the lower needs are.
– Motivation has a great relationship with performance; in case an employee is
engaged, with high level of job satisfaction and organizational commitment, this will
make him exert extra effort and perform and go extra mile to achieve his as well as
his organizational goal. the role then of the employees manager is to give him the
support needed in terms of encouragement , guidance, consistent coaching , needed
resources etc. so that both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations has been developed , and
by consequence maintain his consistent motivation.
LEADERSHIP: is defined as the process of influencing others activities in order to
achieve organization goal; or in other words is the behavior of an individual when
directing others activities is achieving a common goal. It encompasses both social
influences through steering others in the meantime indicating the differentiation
between different members of the group. There is a difference between managers who
are concerned with routine work as well as short term objectives; and the leaders who
adopt and influence people and drive towards long term objectives as well as
MOTIVATION & LEADERSHIP: Motivation is an essential tool of any leader or
supervisor and it’s totally linked to leadership. On 1976 and according to Oldham’s
analysis he listed 6 different types of motivational strategies: (Personally rewarding
strategy; Personally pushing strategy; Setting goal strategy; Designing feedback
strategy; Placing personal strategy & Designing job system) all the above mentioned
strategies are correlated and leader are trying to manipulate organizational environment
by using the relevant motivational strategy to motivate his subordinates. In addition
they vary in using their leadership styles based on several factors like the task itself in
their hands they may use several ways in doing the same task, also the nature of the task
or the work itself has its impact on the leadership style the leader is adopting, also to
which extent this task is related to the aimed performance and finally his power in
making this task or this work done.
-motivation is the fuel of existence, continuous improvement and success;
It’s the main driver for a person self- esteem, self- confidence, continuous improvement and facing challenges.
One of the main responsibilities of any manager is to keep always attention to his team motivation, since he is responsible for the achievement of his functional objective through his team.
The manager has to be aware of the motivation drivers of his subordinates, in order to be able to use the relevant tool of motivation which will influence each one;
One motivation way cannot fit all people interest or not with the same level of influence; for example some of the employees are happy with just a thank you word others are motivated by financial rewarding.
There are several ways to motivate our employees; sometimes there are general ways for all ,
others are very specific and personalized to the person itself :
– Always thanking verbally whoever is doing something good or up to or exceeds the expectations.
– Thanking them over emails with a copy to the head of the organization in case of great achievement which had a positive impact on the company.
– Delegation either during the leave or even during normal work to represent the leader in some meetings.
– Always communicating with them the up to date information about the company the market and any meeting feedback I’m attending which contains important information they should be aware of.
– Getting their feedback on specific subjects or issues.
– Always spreading the spirit of team work and that everyone is responsible and accountable for the whole department results.
– Nominating them for organizational projects and assignments as members representing their functions.
– Nominating for special recognition whoever did a great achievement.
– Celebrating the success after completion of a specific project or assignment, or for birthdays.
– Emotionally supporting them during personal as well as professional painful and tough situations. Meeting, talking coaching, thinking together.
– Admiring each one talent, and benefiting from it as appropriate.
– Assisting them to develop and grow each according to his capabilities and competencies.
– Respecting their opinions as experts in their areas. – Evaluating them fairly who ever achieved deserved to be differentiated than others.
– Encouraging them to take challenges and supporting and assisting them whenever they are right.
– Finally financially recognizing them as appropriate.
October 3, 2017
September 16, 2017
September 16, 2017
August 20, 2017